Unit 1 Essential Questions and Enduring Understandings
We will be examining the rapid changes that swept through Europe and the United States during this period. Students will be determining how societies shifted from an agrarian to industrialization and the advancements in technology that made it possible. They will also be exploring the consequences that industrialization caused, the rise of the middle class, migration to the cities and the need for political reforms to protect citizens, We will be distinguishing differences in political and economic thought that was spreading throughout the period.
- What advances in technology brought about the Industrial Revolution?
- How does geography affect development?
- How do people respond to rapid economic, political, and social change?
- What is economic justice?
- How were the excesses of capitalism addressed?
- How did democratic reforms in Great Britain lead to inequalities in society?
- What is nationalism and how did it effect Europe?
- Why did westward expansion in the U.S. lead to the Civil War?
- How did Italy and Germany each achieve unification?
- What changes did the Austro-Hungarian Empire experience in the 19th century?
Unit 1 Enduring Understandings
- Identify why England led the way in the Industrial Revolution
- Trace the evolution of inventions during the Industrial Revolution
- Analyze the technological advancements that led to advancements in agriculture and society
- Identify the move from a domestic system economy to a factory system
- Describe the need for government intervention as societies needs increased
- Explain how suffrage excluded segments of the population
- Define economic justice
- Evaluate the importance of coal in operations of the factory system and transportation
Nationalism and Expansion
- Explain how political reforms in G.B. led to a more democratic government for some and not for others
- Describe the connection between westward expansion in the U.S. and the Civil War
- Compare how Italy and Germany each achieved unification
- Determine the changes that the Austro-Hungarian Empire experienced during the 19th century