Unit 4 Essential Questions
- What were the social, political, and economic conditions that led to the origin and development of the first Communist state?
- What were the economic conditions that created the Great Depression and how did it provide a challenge to capitalism as an economic philosophy?
- What are the ideological foundations of fascism and communism and how did they develop in Russia, Germany, and Italy?
- How did the battling political philosophies of democracy, communism, and fascism fight for the will of the populations of Europe and Asia?
- Explain how a new government developed in the Soviet Union under the leadership of Lenin and Stalin.
- Describe how western democracies began to recover from WWI and how that recovery was shattered by the Great Depression.
- Discuss how China was torn by civil war and how Southeast Asia and India began their push for independence.
- Identify how democracy, communism and fascism battled for supremacy in Europe and Asia