Unit 2: Essential Questions
- How did early explorations influence history?
- Why was the spread of Christianity important?
- What were the effects of the Columbian Exchange?
- How did the interactions between colonizers and native peoples impact how each were seen world-wide?
- What are the lasting impacts of European colonization?
Unit 2: Enduring Understandings
- As Europeans explored, they came into contact with other races of people, whom they exploited for commercial gain. This resulted from and reinforced racism and an attitude of white supremacy.
- Advances in technology helped make exploration possible.
- The effects of colonization on native people. (Spanish and Portuguese in Latin and South America and other European countries in North America.)
- The triangular trade had an important and devastating impact on enslaved Africans in the Americas as well as on the West African culture and population.
- The Colombian Exchange and its negative and positive effects.
- Is Columbus a hero or villain?